To repair a 2GB Personal Folders file or Offline Folders
2GB problem is not new with Microsoft Outlook. As Microsoft Outlook limits the size of personal folders .pst and offline folders .ost to 2GB, the problem starts when the size of your .pst or .ost files increases from the limit of 2GB. Once the size increases you will not be able to use your current .pst file. May be you have tried many times to delete some files and minimize the size but once the size of .pst or .ost files are above 2GB it won’t work until you synchronize the large files to smaller chunks.
This problem cant be resolved by Microsoft Inbox repair tool. To overcome this problem of repairing 2GB personal folder or offline folder Microsoft itself provides a tool as Exchange 2000 Tool: PST2GB . PST2GB helps to create the truncated copy of your corrupted .pst/.ost files, but in the repair process some of your data is lost as this tool cuts a certain amount of data during repair process. For working of PST2GB tool you must have more than 2GB space to make copy of your .pst files. Secondly this tool truncated data between 20 to 25 MB less than 2GB limit. This truncated chunk of your .pst file is removed from the original copy, which implies that your recovered copy has some data loss. This process does not perform 100% repair and recovery of your 2GB Personal folder .pst or Offline Folder .ost file.
Once you download the tool from Microsoft Follow these steps to repair your 2GB .pst/.ost files
1. Once download is complete just click on 2gb152.exe and extract its all file in an empty folder. There you will be able to view these 5 files
2. Click on Pst2gb.exe and run the program.
3. Once you run the program browse and select your oversized PST file and then click open.
4. Click Create and select the name and location of truncated data files where you want them to store. Clicks save, to proceed further.
5. you can now input the amount of data you want to truncate from your .pst or .ost file. Its not that, there is an standard format but the best results are visible when you use 20 to 25 MB. But it’s up to you, how much data you want to truncate. You can start with 25 MB of data and if it works you can then again truncate for 15 MB and if that works then again for 10 MB. And suppose if the process for 25 MB does not work then increase the size to 30 MB and then truncate, if it doesn’t work then again increase the size to 35 MB and truncate. Precede the process until the truncation does not start.
6. once it is truncated then run Inbox Repair Tool (scanpst.exe) file on the chunked down .pst/.ost files.
7. Then open all these repaired .pst files in outlook.
8. Now you can start the compression process of these chunks .pst files in outlook only if the file opens. If file opens then right click on the root folder of .pst, click on properties and then click compact now to start the compression. The compression process can take long time.
9. And if the file does not open, you need to work on the original oversized .pst file and truncate them to smaller pieces. And then again start the process of compression.
You can easily repair your oversized 2GB PST/OST file with the process.
Apart from this if you want to repair the corrupted oversized PST or OST file then you can go for hex editors. You can download hex editors and open your large size pst files in it. Remove some characters from the file and save it. Run Scanpst.exe on that file which will repair the damage done by hex editor. If the file is repaired by Inbox repair tool then it will open in Outlook. If it is not repaired then try removing some more characters and repeat the step. If the process works you can repair your oversized pst or ost file with loss of few data.